I love cheese.
I could actually stop writing this right now, and just leave you with that, but then you'd be all, "Where's the chip and queso recipe, Jackie?" SO I guess I'll keep going.
I could easily eat tortilla chips and queso every day. Maybe even with a margarita. I was looking for a snack one day and saw a good looking sweet potato. I thought to myself, "I'm going to make some chips...but I want a dip to go with it. Hm...what type of dip goes with sweet potato??" And then it dawned on me. I make a sweet potato and chipotle soup...so naturally, a chipotle queso would marry really well. Right? Right!
This is an easy recipe that is a crowd pleaser. Perfect for game day, poker night, holiday entertaining, or a late night snack.
Sweet Potato Chips with Chipotle Queso
Serves 4 appetizer portions
- 1 Large organic sweet potato, sliced with a mandolin about 1/8" thick, if you don't have a mandolin, slice them very thin. If your sweet potato is not organic, make sure you peel the skin. If it is, you can leave it on.
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 8-10 slices (or more) of American cheese, such as Land-O-Lakes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of chipotle in adobo, sauce only
For the chips
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Place the slices of sweet potato on a pan that is sprayed with non stick spray. Spray the tops of the chips as well and sprinkle liberally with coarse sea salt. Cook in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until slight browned and crispy. Place on a platter.
For the queso
In a skillet over medium low heat, melt the butter. Add the flour to make a roux and whisk until lightly golden in color. Add the cumin, salt, and chili powder and whisk with the roux. After about a minute, slowly whisk in the milk, a little at the time, making sure to whisk the lumps out. Bring to a low boil and allow the milk to get thicker. Add the chopped american cheese and whisk to combine. Remove from heat and add the chipotle in adobo sauce.
Pour into a bowl and serve immediately with the chips.